Personal Protective Equipment, also known as PPE is a set of wearables intended to shield or protect the wearers from any dangers including chemicals, electrical, radiological, and others. In other words, it is a risk control measure to protect workers from a wide range of workplace hazards:
- Severe or extreme temperatures
- Crucial impacts, emissions, or ejections
- Lethal airborne contaminants
Working in Healthcare? Know Your PPE Type
Healthcare workers may require a different set of PPEs to perform their jobs. PPE can prevent any contamination or transmission of germs and viruses in the healthcare setting. The basic PPE worn by healthcare professionals includes face shields, masks, gown, goggles, hat, apron, gloves, and shoe covers. Apart from PPE, frequent sanitization and handwashes are imperative! All doctors must follow the guidelines and regulations issued by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for PPE use. Also, after use, the PPE must be disposed of in separate waste bins to avoid infection.
List of Companies Profiled in the Personal Protective Equipment Industry:
- W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc.
- MCR Safety
- Towa Corporation
- TenCate Fabrics
- Rock Fall (UK) Ltd
- Gateway Safety, Inc.
- Blue Eagle
- Mallcom (India) Limited
- COFRA S.r.l.
- Avon Protection
- Ansell Ltd.
- Honeywell International, Inc.
- Lakeland Inc.
- Supermax Corporation Berhad
- Acme Safetywears Limited
- TEIJIN LIMITED
- Radians, Inc.
- Udyogi Plastics Pvt. Ltd
- Uvex Group
- Alpha ProTech
Why is it essential for workers?
It is rather an obligation on the employer’s side to provide personal protective equipment to their employees at the workplace. As per the Occupational Safety and Health Act, the employer must provide its workers with robust personal protective equipment to protect them from unforeseen hazards during work. The personal protective equipment market size is expected to reach USD 92.86 billion by 2027, states Fortune Business Insights. There are a variety of risks involved during work, from chemical spilling to exposure to a deadly virus. Personal protective equipment keeps the wearer safe and protected from exterior dangers and it is the responsibility of the employer to keep its staff safeguarded from unwanted exposures. Nevertheless, there are a few things all employers must follow to ensure workers’ safety, which is educating employees about:
- What is the importance of PPE in the workplace?
- When to use it?
- How to wear it?
- What type of PPE one should use?
- The limitations of PPE?
- How to dispose of it after use?
COVID-19 Pandemic: Sustaining PPE Usage
Safety has been of paramount prominence especially in the times of pandemics. Healthcare systems are employing ways to protect patients and others in healthcare settings against the coronavirus. The endowment of PPE has been a boom for the healthcare system in the midst of an outbreak. The PPE use has now become of supreme primacy for healthcare providers. All healthcare organizations are rapidly adapting to the new change and enhancing their use of PPE. However, there is a shortage of PPE within health care organizations due to the disruption in the supply chain amid COVID-19. Businesses and pioneers are attempting to provide an ample supply of PPEs in hospitals and facilities. The ongoing demand and aggravated supply chain may create a hassle for healthcare organizations in sustaining PPE. Certain strategies are being implemented to conserve PPEs:
Dwindling Probable for Viral Exposure Through
- Circumventing from entering a patient’s room and avoiding unnecessary patient care
- Wearing surgical masks on COVID+ patients and PUI, when in quarantine
- Proper ventilation systems for quarantined PUIs
How to Tackle Critical PPE Shortage-Situation?
- Re-use PPE by first sterilizing with UV or ozone disinfection. Make sure the PPE has been eliminated from all the bacteria and virus and made virus-free for re-use
- Re-use N95 masks not more than 5 times only if it’s clean and safe from moisture. Store your mask in a paper bag and take a note to recall its 5 times usage.
- Extend the use of facemasks and N95s in patients and allowing the healthcare provider to change gloves and gowns between patients.
About the Author:
Name-AMAN SINGH GANDHI
Aman is a keen and devoted writer, specializing in the field of healthcare with promising results. His primary objective is to deliver top-grade content to his readers. He has an experience of over 2 years in popular niche blogs, articles, press releases; also covered a wide-array of untouched topics. Aman is extremely passionate about poetry, books, and art apart from his imaginative writing.