If you follow the health scene at all, you’ve probably heard about intermittent fasting. Alongside other popular methods for weight loss that include diets like Keto, intermittent fasting has become a go-to method for many reasons. However, with many of these “fads”, it can be hard to tell whether it really lives up to the hype and is worth trying out. Thankfully, we are here to tell you everything you need to know about intermittent fasting and what you can gain from implementing it into your daily life.
What Is Intermittent Fasting?
If you don’t already know what intermittent fasting is, the good news is that the basic concept is pretty simple. Intermittent fasting is patterns of fasting and non-fasting during the day. This means that you can eat during certain parts of the day but not others. The times that you choose to eat and choose to fast are generally up to you, which is one reason why intermittent fasting is a great and flexible option to help you achieve your health goals.
How to Do Intermittent Fasting?
Now that you know some of the basics around intermittent fasting, it’s time to get into the nitty-gritty on what it actually entails. As stated previously, the exact schedule that you follow for intermittent fasting is up to you but there are some common schedules that include:
· Beginner intermittent fasting where you fast for 14 hours of the day and eat during a period of 10 hours
· Mid-level intermittent fasting where you fast for 16 hours of the day and eat during a period of 8 hours
· Advanced intermittent fasting where you fast for 18 hours of the day and only eat during a period of 6 hours
While you might not be able to eat during a long period, it’s important to remember that you can (and should) consume beverages that contain no calories like water, tea, and coffee so long as you don’t add sweeteners or anything that will make them unhealthy.
What Are the Benefits of Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent fasting might not sound like the most enticing thing in the world, but we promise that the benefits definitely make it worthwhile! Here are just some of the benefits of intermittent fasting that you can gain from practicing it consistently:
· It can help you lose weight. By restricting your caloric intake and jumpstarting your metabolism, intermittent fasting can definitely help you lose some weight if you pair it with healthy eating and exercise.
· It can help you manage your blood sugar. Initial studies have shown that intermittent fasting can help you maintain healthy blood glucose levels and decrease the risk of developing diabetes.
· It can help improve your cognitive system. Early research has shown that intermittent fasting activates areas of the brain and hippocampus that can improve memory, learning, and even happiness levels!
Is Intermittent Fasting Right for Everyone?
All that being said, even though there are tons of benefits of intermittent fasting it might not be right for everyone. It might not be a good idea for those who have a history of eating disorders. It also might not be the best system for those who are taking diabetes medication, those with autoimmune disorders, or those with sleep disorders due to potential negative effects.
Overall, intermittent fasting is an effective method that can help you to lose weight, improve your blood sugar levels, and potentially even improve cognition and protect your brain against degenerative disorders. It can help you feel more alert and happy during the day and help you achieve your health goals alongside healthy habits like diet and exercise.